There Was No Us Before You

I've seen a lot of articles circling the internet talking about how "we were US before we had you"…basically, it's the idea that before we had kids, we were dating and had alone time and well…didn't have kids. Pretty dreamy, right?! The articles talk about how important is it to still date because "before we had you, we had us".

I love the idea and concept of this. However, sometimes…for some people…there is so "us" before "you". Sometimes, love happens when there are already children involved.

This post is for those people.

This is for the single parents who had to learn how to date while also being a parent. This is for the person who decided to date someone with a child, knowing what you were signing up for. This is for the people who made their relationship work, despite not always having "alone" time. This is for the people who "pre marriage dating" involved kids. This is for the people who got "alone time" after an 8pm bedtime.

I think it is important for ALL married couples to date. Please don't get me wrong on that. Dating your spouse is just one of those things I strongly believe in. However, for those people who never had "us" before "you", I feel it's even MORE important.
It's important to find yourself as a couple. It's important to find your role as husband or as wife AND as mom and as dad.

I've also read articles about being a "wife" before you were a "mom", but sometimes that isn't always the case. Sometimes motherhood comes first. I'm here to tell you…that's okay. I know I'm not the first person to say that, but I know for me personally, sometimes I read articles like the ones mentioned above and I think…none of this pertains to me. I was a mom before I was married. We were a family from day one. It's okay to not have "us" before "you" and now more than ever, it's important to DATE YOUR SPOUSE! Cook dinner together, have a game night, find a new hobby together….

Guys, I really don't even know if this post makes sense….but it's been on my heart and it's something I wanted to share.







Labels: , , , , ,